Working a 9-5 job can be hectic – especially in a city like Bangalore where traffic to and from work constantly comes to a standstill. By the time you reach home, you’re too tired to even process words like working out and eating healthy. A change in lifestyle may be just what you need, so don’t worry, we’ve got you covered. Here are a couple of tips and tricks you can follow if you’re stuck in a cubicle all day.
Why subscribe to an overpriced gym membership (that you probably won’t even have time to go to) when you can work out while sitting at your desk! Here are a couple of under-the-radar exercises:
- Leg Planks — Extend your right leg until it’s straight and parallel to the floor. Hold it for 10 seconds and then release. Repeat the same with your left leg and continue to do the exercise five times on each leg. No one will even know you’re working out!
- Shoulder Raises — Casually sneak these exercises in, your co-workers won’t notice! Raise your right shoulder up till your ear for about 10 seconds, release and repeat it with your left shoulder. Do this exercise five times on each shoulder.
- Walk It, Talk It — If you find a bit of free time within your schedule, take a break by walking around the office, instead of staring at a screen. You could even take the time to stop and have a chat with your co-workers. It will help shed calories while also relieving you of mental stress.
With your busy schedule, you may not have a lot of time on hand to cook and pack a full meal. Instead, you can go for some easy-to-make options like sandwiches, and salads, that you can throw together the night before work. You could also skip out on your regular puffs, and samosas and munch on a couple of nutritious snacks like greek yogurts, mixed nuts, and baked chips.
Relax at work
The stress of a job can get to the best of us. Which is why it’s important for you to allow yourself some time to cool off, especially when things seem to be spiraling. Always remember that mental health is more important than any job.
Here are a couple of ways you can take a break at work:
- Calming apps – Ambi Pro, Calm, and Headspace are some applications you can download to help you meditate or just de-stress.
- Have Some Laughs – If meditation isn’t your thing, take a break to watch funny –– cute animals, your favourite stand-up comic, or whatever else gives you the giggles. This will help you take your mind off work and have fun while you’re at it.
- Ear Rubs – If you’re looking for something more out of the box but equally effective, here’s a little tip – massaging the middle of the upper part of your ear, which is known as the Gate of Heaven, helps reduce anxiety and boost energy levels.
There’s more to work-life balance than just eating right and exercising — don’t forget to work on your hobbies, and spend time with family and friends. When you prioritise your health and happiness, you take the first step towards living a more wholesome lifestyle!